Sunday, October 23, 2011

Spiced Pumpkin Walnut Bread

Obviously I am on a full fall cooking kick and staring at the pumpkins on my balcony I needed to make something pumpkin-y. I only had regular size loaf pans and they are always just too big for me and my husband to share so it was perfect when we were at a yardsale and I came across these....!


4 half loaf pans!! Perfect size to keep and to give away which is exactly what we did...

This bread really encompasses the taste of fall with pumpkin, delicious spices and walnuts.

Spiced Pumpkin Walnut Bread
Bon Appetit magazine, nov 1995

Makes 2 loves

3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 16-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour the loaf pans (9x5x3) and set aside. Beat sugar and oil until well combined. Add pumpkin and eggs and mix. Sift flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and baking powder into another large bowl.

**I didn't have ground cloves but its pretty easy to grind your own with a mortar and pestle. I've been doing this a lot lately so I don't have duplicate spices since I rarely use some of them and they lose flavor over time.


Stir flour into pumpkin mixture in 2 batches until just combined. Mix in walnuts.
Divide batter into pans and cook for about 1 hour for larger pans and 50 min for smaller pans or until a knife just comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cook for several minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.








No comments:

Post a Comment